February 2, 2017
National Homemade Soup Day
Homemade Soup Day (February 4)
Warm up with this heart-healthy, budget friendly Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 16-oz. canned, low-sodium black beans (undrained)
- 1 15-oz. can, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chopped
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray (or oil), over medium-high heat add onion and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin and jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Add the beans and lightly mash with a masher or a fork.
- Add tomatoes and broth – bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Served topped with fresh cilantro (optional).