We’ve got the meals if you’ve got the wheels! Drivers are an essential piece to the MANNA program. After meals are prepared, they are packaged up into 21 complete meals for each client, totaling over 1,500 per week. Our volunteer drivers deliver 20% of these meals and as our client base grows our need for drivers is greatly expanding.
This is a great opportunity to directly see the impact of the program and an easy way to volunteer if you have a schedule that doesn’t perfectly fit one of our kitchen shifts.
What does a volunteer driver route look like?
- Pick up time for the meals is between 9am – 11am, Tuesday – Friday. There is some flexibility for pick-up, given at least 24 hours’ notice.
- Route time averages between 1 – 2 hours. When possible, we route the deliveries to match your route preferences (length, neighborhoods, etc.)
- Routes typically include 4 – 6 clients. This can be adjusted up or down based on your preferences and capacity.
- Each client receives 20 – 30lbs of food (their breakfast, lunch, and dinner bags) that you will hand deliver to their door. You must be able to lift 20lbs and carry packages several yards.
How to become a volunteer driver:
- Create an online profile on MANNA’s volunteer scheduling portal.
- Attend an orientation in-person at MANNA.
- Complete a PA-state background clearance and send us a pdf copy for our files. If you don’t have one from 2023 already, you can obtain a free and easy background check (for volunteers) here, which takes less than a day to process.
- Have a valid drivers license and a car that can reliably drive around the city, with enough room to hold several MANNA meal bags.
If you have questions about volunteer driving, please contact Ben Sereda, Community Engagement Associate, at email@example.com or 215-496-2662 ext. 3.