March 2, 2017
National Nutrition Month
The theme for National Nutrition Month ® 2017, presented by Health Partners Plans, is “Put Your Best Fork Forward.” This serves as a reminder that each one of us holds the tool to make healthier food choices.
We all make New Year’s resolutions, whether it is to eat healthier, become more physically active, or simply live a more balanced and healthier lifestyle. By now, these New Year’s resolutions are starting to get dusty.
In the winter, it is easy to stay inside and indulge in our favorite high calorie comfort foods. With spring approaching, March is the perfect time to get back on track with healthy eating. Ingredient swaps, adding balance, and moderate portion sizes can help you maintain a healthy diet.
Making small daily, weekly, or monthly changes over time leads to big changes that will help improve your overall health.
Here are a few simple and easy tips to March into National Nutrition Month:
- Eat more plants
- When you include more fruits and vegetables into your diet, it is likely that you will crowd out unhealthier foods.
- Get enough sleep
- Lack of sleep, even just 30 minutes less one or two nights a week, can lead to weight gain and changes in insulin levels.
- Read labels
- Make sure to read the nutrition label on food items – this way you can get a better idea of calories and nutrients in a specific serving size. The less ingredients, the better!
- Eat a protein-packed, fiber rich breakfast
- Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. A breakfast filled with protein and fiber will provide you with the energy to start you day and keep you full.
- Try new foods and recipes
- This helps to ensure you are adding a variety of foods in your diet.