Sunny skies, warm nights and the smell of sunscreen – it really is summer! That means it is time to head outdoors and light the grill.
Keep your summer grilling heart healthy by following these MANNA tips:
- Be creative – veggies, fruit and even pizzas can be great on the grill.
- Go low – load up on low fat, high protein foods. Lean sources of protein such as chicken, turkey, fish and vegetable proteins such as veggie burger and dogs are a great alternative to traditional high-fat, high cholesterol grilling fare. Spice it up! Marinating, using spice rubs and adding fresh chopped herbs to your foods prior to cooking adds low-fat goodness and flavor. Just remember to keep your spices low in sodium.
- Think safety – to avoid any possibility of food borne illness, make sure that your food is cooked to the proper temperature. You also want to cook foods until they are brown but not blackened to avoid adding carcinogens.
- Dessert Anyone? End your meal with a healthy, grilled dessert. Try grilling fruits such as pineapples, peaches and even bananas topped with cinnamon and ginger…yum!
- Make it a Meal that Matters – consider inviting your friends and family and supporting MANNA clients like Donald by grilling a Meal that Matters.
Chef Keith’s Fiery Grilled Fruit – Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium firm unpeeled bananas, peaches or 1/2 fresh pineapple
- In a small bowl, combine the rum, honey and cinnamon (add the cayenne pepper if you are using it).
- Prepare fruit. Cut bananas in half lengthwise, leaving the peel on. If using peaches, cut in half and remove pit; if using pineapple, remove core and slice into 1/2 thick half rounds.
- Place fruit cut side down on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn and brush with honey mixture. Cover and grill 5-6 minutes longer or until tender. If using bananas, remove peel. Serve immediately.