“I am so lucky.”
Not the words you expect to hear from a man simultaneously battling TWO types of cancer. Yet, those are the words Don proclaims as he and his wife Dee gaze at each other and discuss illness, life and MANNA meals. Don,78, is fighting colon AND metastatic liver cancer.
The devotion, thankfulness and love both share is evident as they talk.
“Don is not just my husband. He is my best friend,” Dee exclaimed. “When he became sick it was hard to watch him struggle to eat. The food he was eating upset his stomach. He lost 35 pounds. MANNA is so wonderful. Don has gained back 10 pounds! MANNA meals help us in so many ways.”
MANNA meals have increased Don’s energy level and enabled him to continue his fight. And to enjoy and celebrate life. Thanks to MANNA meals, Don is looking forward to to celebrating his 79th birthday this summer surrounded by family and friends.
Don wanted to share a message with MANNA and every one of our supporters: “I really thank you. You give me not just nourishment but LOVE.” Help nourish a neighbor like Don today – Donate.
Sunny skies, warm nights and the smell of sunscreen – it really is summer! That means it is time to head outdoors and light the grill.
Keep your summer grilling heart healthy by following these MANNA tips:
- Be creative – veggies, fruit and even pizzas can be great on the grill.
- Go low – load up on low fat, high protein foods. Lean sources of protein such as chicken, turkey, fish and vegetable proteins such as veggie burger and dogs are a great alternative to traditional high-fat, high cholesterol grilling fare. Spice it up! Marinating, using spice rubs and adding fresh chopped herbs to your foods prior to cooking adds low-fat goodness and flavor. Just remember to keep your spices low in sodium.
- Think safety – to avoid any possibility of food borne illness, make sure that your food is cooked to the proper temperature. You also want to cook foods until they are brown but not blackened to avoid adding carcinogens.
- Dessert Anyone? End your meal with a healthy, grilled dessert. Try grilling fruits such as pineapples, peaches and even bananas topped with cinnamon and ginger…yum!
- Make it a Meal that Matters – consider inviting your friends and family and supporting MANNA clients like Donald by grilling a Meal that Matters.
Chef Keith’s Fiery Grilled Fruit – Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium firm unpeeled bananas, peaches or 1/2 fresh pineapple
- In a small bowl, combine the rum, honey and cinnamon (add the cayenne pepper if you are using it).
- Prepare fruit. Cut bananas in half lengthwise, leaving the peel on. If using peaches, cut in half and remove pit; if using pineapple, remove core and slice into 1/2 thick half rounds.
- Place fruit cut side down on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn and brush with honey mixture. Cover and grill 5-6 minutes longer or until tender. If using bananas, remove peel. Serve immediately.